Classic Margarita Pizza - so excited to try it we ate 2 slices before we remembered to take pictures!
She said: 4 tongues
March 10, 2013
Been back twice since that first time and glad to say Nuovo is steadily improving. They have added more specials to the menu, and a slew of desserts to choose from (although still no dessert menu). Come to think of it, they're probably better off showcasing the actual desserts the wait staff can take with them and present to customers versus a printed menu. Makes it more appetizing and thus people are more likely to order desserts. Central NJ is starting to look good!
March 4, 2013 - previously 3 tongues
Most new restaurants go through labor pains, and Nuovo Trattoria is no exception. Considering that it has been about a week since it opened, the situation is not unexpected. The restaurant has its appealing points and at the same time it has areas it must address and can definitely improve on.
So let's start with the good points:
1. Nuovo has casually elegant interiors. They certainly improved on the old Le Peep dated decor (Le Peep being the restaurant that used to be in that same spot). They also have a party room perfect for that private event.
2. The pizza was really good. The best part was the sauce - it had a sweet taste to it that appealed to me. It tasted way better than any of the other pizzas you can buy in central NJ.
3. The Caesar salad had a nice light dressing on it.
4. The tiramisu was just the way I like it - not too sweet with a delightful espresso taste that's not overpowering.
Now on to our points of improvement:
1. For the first 30 minutes of our stay, the restaurant was chilly. Then it gradually warmed up. Granted we came around 1:30 (a half hour after they opened) but still that shouldn't be the case. Maybe they should start up the heater earlier so by the time 1 pm rolls around, it's nice and cozy.
2. The bread was not served warm. I know that some places feel that the bread isn't so important and that it's sometimes served as an afterthought, but I beg to disagree. I believe the bread sets the tone on what one can expect during the meal. If a restaurant cares enough to serve warm, tasty bread (which is free), then I know there's a big possiblity they'll be serving me something put together with the greatest amount of care.
3. The pizza needs to be cooked longer. While I greatly complimented the delicious sauce, the crust leaves a little to be desired. It needed to stay in the oven for a few more minutes to come up with that crisp pizza consistency. Instead I got something soft.
4. On the same note as the pizza, the penne I had needed just a few more minutes to be cooked al dente.
All in all, Nuovo Trattoria shows great promise. They're on their way with beautiful interiors, an interesting and varied menu, and delicious desserts. With just a bit more tweaking, they can overcome the labor pains and give birth to a really good Italian restaurant in an area that badly needs one. Good luck!
He said: 4 tongues March 4, 2013
Review coming soon
White Bean Escarole Soup
Classic Caesar Salad
Inside Nuovo Trattoria
Pizza with short ribs - not on the menu! Ask for it.
Cappellini w/ shrimp in diavolo sauce
Eggplant Rollatini - Thin sliced eggplant stuffed with spinach, ricotta, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan finished with a light tomato sauce